About the Toshiba Classic
The Toshiba Classic is the largest and most exciting annual event in Orange County. Each year, 200 sponsors, 1,000 volunteers and 80,000 spectators support the Toshiba Classic, providing the means for a tournament that produces record earnings for charity. The Toshiba Classic has become a tradition in the Orange County community.
Hoag Charity Sports, a supporting organization of Hoag Hospital Foundation, produces the Toshiba Classic and the profits from the Toshiba Classic benefit Hoag Institutes and other local charities.
The tournament generates over $1,000,000 for charity annually, and our 18 year total exceeds $18 million. Beginning with the 2011 tournament, proceeds have benefited the Mary & Dick Allen Diabetes Center at Hoag. The mission of the Allen Diabetes Center is to make a difference by improving the quality of life for all people with diabetes or at risk of diabetes, through prevention, early detection, prompt care, education and support. In addition to Hoag, tournament proceeds have also been contributed to more than 45 other charities. The Toshiba Classic Scholarship Program has provided over $310,000 in scholarships and support to local schools and over $1,000,000 worth of Toshiba laptops to deserving local high schools and seniors.
The tournament also provides additional benefit to the community beyond the charitable impact. The Toshiba Classic is televised domestically on the Golf Channel, and internationally on PGA TOUR television partners overseas. This exposure for our community provides benefits that are immeasurable, and the positive light shed on Orange County residually impacts the businesses and individuals who reside here.
Dates: October 5 – 9, 2016
Purse: $1.8 million, with a first place prize of $270,000
Site: Newport Beach Country Club | Newport Beach, CA
TV: National coverage on the Golf Channel |Fri-Sun
Host | Charity: Hoag Hospital and the Mary and Dick Allen Diabetes Center
TOSHIBA CLASSIC OVERVIEW
- The only official PGA TOUR Champions event in Orange County
- Draws over 80,000 patrons, 200 sponsors and 1,000 volunteers each year
- Most philanthropic event in Champions Tour history raising over $18 million for Hoag Hospital and other local charities
- Boasts 40 Champions Tour members in the World Golf Hall of Fame, many of who are still actively competing
- Will feature players with over 400 world-wide professional victories and over 50 major championships
- Largest corporately attended event in Orange County with over 200 corporate sponsors who entertain customers and clients during the tournament
- Over 75% of Toshiba Classic attendees are affluent, corporate decision-makers between the ages of 35 and 65 years old
ECONOMIC IMPACT OF THE TOSHIBA CLASSIC
In addition, the Toshiba Classic fills local hotel rooms, restaurants and businesses during tournament week, providing an enormous influx of dollars into our economy. An independent study by Economics Research Associates of Los Angeles determined the economic impact of the Toshiba Classic on Newport Beach and the surrounding communities of Orange County to be almost $30 million.
Click here to read the entire economic report.
330 Placentia, Suite 260
Newport Beach, CA 92663